Wednesday, October 27, 2010

act your age....

whats the saying?

act your age, not your shoe size?

i think this could also work to remind people to dress their age, not their shoe size.  or stop shopping in the juniors section after a certain age or if you're going to do it, be smart about it.  obviously if you're approaching your 40's, you probably should not be wearing a miniskirt and your bubbies (yes, bubbies) should not be hanging out all over the place.

a friend of mine reminded me recently, "know your audience." meaning, if you want people to respect you, take you seriously and you want to make a good impression, you should be dressed to do so.  i honestly get real tired of hearing people use the excuse that they "look good for their age" and that allows them to still dress as if they're between the ages of 17 and 24.  you can look good for your age, dress appropriately and still feel sexy.  without looking 1. ridiculous 2. trashy and 3. idiotic.

this entire blog was sparked by a recent reviewing/updating of my employers dress-code policy.  not much changed in it from when i was hired, some updating and clarification on certain things pertaining to womens clothing choices (which stemmed from an overly hot & humid summer, which women showed far more skin than was necessary in the workplace).  i was pulled into my managers office, to specifically address my tattoos.  in the dress-code policy it states that tattoos should be covered in a way to "minimize" the visibility of the tattoo(s).  i was commended on keeping mine, specifically my chest piece, covered as much as possible on a regular basis.  but i was asked to wear my hair down to keep my neck tattoos concealed.  i wasn't in any way offended, more or less annoyed because i have really long/heavy/thick hair and sometimes it just feels better to pull it all up and out of my face.  i was also asked to keep my cardigans on at all times, even when i'm seated at my desk.  no problem again.

but this all made me think, how can my tattoos be so offensive that i need to keep them covered, when their are women walking around the company dressed like they just got done shopping at strippers 'r us?  honestly i am offended by some of their clothing options, but according to the policy, they are within policy standards.

please tell me when 4-5" black patent leather stilettos ala stripper shoes became work appropriate?


**another old post i've dug up and finally posted, enjoy! from october 2010.

No comments: