Saturday, October 16, 2010

need a gift idea for the art lover in your life!?

i've said it once and i'll say it again, i've got some pretty amazing and talented friends.

they're writers, artists, professionals, creators, singers, dancers and i'm pretty sure a few are superheros. 

with the impending holiday season approaching us, i wanted to share some gift ideas with my readers.

so if you like art or want to buy someone in your life some truly amazing stuff, please check out:





Fortuna
from Pure Gold Paints:

I’m a perpetually 30-year-old painter living in Los Angeles specializing in watercolor and blood portraits of people and pets. I do other stuff too, but those are my passions. I love bringing out the essence that makes people who they are through a few brush strokes. It’s really effin’ cool!  I work in watercolor because it takes patience, and that is something I generally lack. It MUST be worked fast and then you have to stop, let it dry.. control yourself. It’s like a rad life lesson.

My blood art is reserved for people doing the things that make them human to me- bleeding. performing. being interesting. I usually paint people suspending or something similar. It’s a fitting medium for something so close to my heart. I find the act of causing myself to bleed to be extremely cathartic. It’s essential to my life.

Jean Harlow
I’ve been an artist from the time I could hold a crayon, being in creepy kid advanced art classes since elementary classes. I used to sit with rolls of paper and duplicate ancient Egyptian scrolls with my watercolors when I was about 8 or 9 with freakish accuracy. I started teaching myself to read hieroglyphics around that time as well, and wanted to be an Egyptologist by the time I was 10. It’s still a fascination for me today.

In high school, my Egyptian passion was replaced by magazine spreads for high fashion. I covered every wall in my room with torn out pages from Harper’s Bazaar, mesmerized by the faces of these women, their bodies, angles, shapes. And I drew them, constantly. I dreamed in the human form.

Carole Lombard
And now.. the love of the form, of documentation.. it’s all come together to create my current love- portraits. Of people, being themselves. Doing their thing. From a photo or two I can create a representation of who you are. I love doing that. It’s like magic.. summoning something ethereal from a page with a brush and some paint.

When I am not creating for others through custom commissions, I spend time doing paintings of my muse for my own pleasure. In my opinion, the human form has never been so beautiful as it is with him, and his passion for bleeding and performing only make it more appealing to paint him. Wow- that sounds creepy. ha!






so what are you waiting for? head on over and order some rad stuff!!!

No comments: