Sunday, September 19, 2010

gettin' figgy with it


Figs are a huge mystery to me. I'll be the first to admit, I have a deep rooted fondness for Fig Newtons. But lets be honest, they're not the healthiest things I could be putting in my body.

A friend recently returned one of my favorite cookbooks to me. The Garden of Vegan by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer. By no means am I claiming to be Vegan (I love MEAT!). I am, however, a fan of most Vegan delicacies (if made correctly), I just haven't found the willpower to go completely Vegetarian let alone Vegan. For the past week I have found myself flipping through my cookbook, rediscovering recipes that I always wanted to try and some old favorites I still whip up (Vegan Artichoke dip! Nom nom nom - I have been known to adjust this recipe making it not Vegan when I cannot find certain ingredients in my area).

While perusing the Breakfast section I noticed that Figs are used a lot! Unfortunately I am no pro with a Fig. I don't know how to shop, buy, store or even cook with them. I need some help folks!

slightly off topic: I am still on my quest of losing the weight I gained after my momma died. As well as improving the overall health of my family and myself. One thing I've noticed is that I often rush out of the house in the morning without any breakfast. Its a bad habit I need to break, even though I've become used to it by now. I really know I need to stop and make some time in the mornings to sit down and fuel my body after a good nights rest. So over the next week my plan is to force myself out of bed much earlier than I have been (I've been known to roll out of bed at 6:30...my shift at work begins at 7am!) and make a small but hearty breakfast for myself.

So....I really want to try out this recipe for Raspberry Fig Breakfast Bars. This is the Vegan recipe:

1/4 cup dried figs, cut in half
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp dry sweetener
1 cup flour
2 cups rolled oat flakes
1/2 cup dry sweetener (for crust mixture)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp water
1/2 cup raspberry jam (another recipe from the book)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a small pot, combine figs, water and sweetener. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the figs have softened. Set aside to cool.
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, sweetener (1/2 cup for crust), salt, baking powder, baking soda, oil and water. Stir together until well mixed.
  • In a blender or food processor, blend the fig mixture and jam until smooth.
  • Press half of the crust mixture onto the bottom of a slightly oiled 8x8 baking pan.
  • Layer the fig mixture over top - spreading it with the back of a large spoon.
  • Press the remaining crust mixture over top.
  • Bake 25-30 minutes or until the top is slight browned.
  • Set aside to cool. Makes 6-12 bars.
Don't lie. I know you're sitting there drooling at the bit. Even to the most carnivorous person, this recipe sounds delicious. Its just the "Vegan" bit that kind of causes most people to go, "Uh yeah, nevermind." If that's what makes you a little hesitant to make these yourself, you could easily adjust the recipe to fit your lifestyle. Honestly the only thing you would need to switch up is the sweetener (not all sugar is vegan! i totally did not know this!) and the Raspberry Jam.

So next weekend, I will be making a batch of these since the little one will be off on a weekend-long adventure. I'll be sure to write about its results.

Do you have a favorite Breakfast staple? Recipe? Comment? Share! I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Ally Jeanne said...

guh i need to figure out some way to make that gluten-free. oats = no go.

and as to sugar not being vegan - that's a load of bull. blahblahblah animal char blahblahblah. driving a car isn't vegan either - you're using decomposed animals to make fuel! someone tried to argue with me about whether or not honey was vegan (i don't eat it because of allergies not because it's "not vegan") and i said, "look at the fucking hood of your car! how many bugs did you kill driving here today?!"

sheena may... said...

hahahaha ally!

i guess it depends on your level of veganism. or well, if you're a hardcore nazi vegan. i thought the sugar bit was a bit out there, but i added it in for some extra knowledge :)

i still haven't made these bad boys. i can't find the goddamn figs! gonna look again today because i really want to eat these!