Tuesday, December 7, 2010

aging gracefully...or something like that

in about 3 hours i'm going to be turning 28. 

age and aging in general has really been something i've struggled with since my mom passed.  slowly i am coming to grips with the fact that i am getting older and sometime i will be old and eventually i will die.  how depressing!

anyway.

it seems like time has just been flying by, its like the last time i checked i was turning 21, i blinked and now i'm turning 28.

for most of my 20's i've felt like i was years behind where i should be in life.  when my friends were busy getting ready to graduate college, i was busy with a newborn.  when those friends were traveling the world, i was changing diapers.  when those same friends were getting engaged, planning weddings, getting married, buying their first home, i was wondering where i took the wrong road.

i was 21 when i had my son, i was 24 when my mother committed suicide, i was 25 when i bought my first car (and i'm on #3 since then), i was also 25 when i started working my "grown-up" job, i was 26 when i got my first apartment and started paying rent for the first time.  maybe i'll have all those other major life events in the next few years. 

doing things backwards i guess isn't so bad.  in the next few years, i'll have my degree.  so long as i don't change my major 50 more times.  i'll hopefully have a better paying job with a fantastic company and i'll be on my way to having more babies and buying my first home.

i am slowly getting over my fear of aging and dying.  since my mom was so young when she died (43), i feel like thats the age when everything stops.  so i am forever rushing to get everything accomplished that i need to.  however, i am not my mother.  this will have to be my new motto.


anyway, a toast to my 28th year.  may it be the best year yet, full of laughter, good health, good fortune, love and learning.

stay tuned for my list of life lessons, thus far to be posted this weekend.


if you're in the area, i will be celebrating on saturday, december 11th at pho seventynine in newport news and ending the evening with drinks at keagans irish pub.  message me for more details.  otherwise, feel free to send me cupcakes and flowers at work ;)

No comments: