Wednesday, April 27, 2011

suds

oh laundry, how i love thee. the pretty multi-colored bottles lining the shelves, all the different scents filling my nasal cavaties...who am i kidding? i hate doing laundry!

well the act of washing and drying clothes, i do enjoy. folding them...well thats a completely other story and action that i try to avoid at all costs.

its about 9:40pm on a humid virginia evening in june. i am currently washing and drying clothes, trying to wrangle in the mess of the 20+ loads of laundry i have accumulated. i'm not really sure how this happened, actually, no. i do know how this happened.

*cuts eyes to washing machine*

now for as long as i can remember, i have had a deep rooted love, a longing, a need for an amazing laundry room. i am also quite taken by laundromats as well. but before i start rambling, back to my washing machine. when i rented this apartment back in april 2009, i did so based primarily on the fact that it came with a washer and dryer. those two things have kind of become a deal breaker for me on property since i became a mother.

so i move into my apartment and i'm super excited that i have my own brand new washer and dryer.

this was so not the case.


upon moving in, it was missing. it ended up being delivered a week or so after moving in. it was not, however, brand new and it was not, however anywhere near what i would describe as amazing! i guess i never realized there were no w/d hookups in my apartment? so where was the water going to come from and where was the hot air and fluffy poofs of lint going to escape to?


welcome to the world of the portable washer and dryer folks! the bane of my existence. my achilles heel. my everest. my worst damn nightmare is what it is!

if you've ever had to deal with a portable washer for a family over the size of..oh...1 person, you know my pain. everytime i need to do some laundry, i have to roll my little washer (which holds about 1/4 of what a fullsize washer holds) over to my kitchen sink. hook the hose up to the faucet, plug the machine in, turn on the water, fumble with the settings and let the drum fill up about 1/2 way before adding in my detergent and what not. this process alone takes about 20 minutes. once i can add in my 2 pairs of jeans, 1 t-shirt and pair of underwear (okay i'm completely over-exaggerating, i can totally fit 3 t-shirts in there). the machine itself takes a whopping hour and a half to wash one load. it could do a much better job at washing the clothes, but i guess i'll take what i can get at this point.

i can't complain too much about the dryer. although small in size, it does its job and it works really good.

once i have finished all the laundry, i am seriously considering using the laundromat close to my house. i don't think i'll save much money, well i might. but there's just something about that smell of dryer lint and fabric sheets that i really love.



**this is an old draft i recently dug up, i'm not sure why i never posted it before, but enjoy! it all still holds true haha!

No comments: