Thursday, September 10, 2009

bacon grease

Today’s work conversation started out as a debate over the use of bacon grease in grits. This caused quite the uproar amongst some of my co-workers. I chose to stay out of this one and observe, take it all in if you will.

Now my background with Grits is…well me and Grits don’t have much of a history. I can count on both hands how many times I’ve actually eaten them. Truth be told, I don’t really care for them. They are the one piece of “Southern Cooking” I could really do without. See, I’m from the Midwest. Minnesota to be exact. Grits isn’t really something I can say is a big part of Midwestern culture. And while I can say Midwesterners love their Bacon (as well as the rest of the Piggy), I can’t say that Bacon grease is used much (if at all). I can’t recall a time growing up when my Mom or Grandma tossed some Bacon grease into anything they were cooking.

I guess I have a lot more to learn about Southern culture and cuisine. I’ve been living in the South since 2003. But you won’t catch me adding Bacon grease to anything anytime soon.

I like my arteries blockage-free and I think I’ll keep them that way, haha.

No comments: